giovedì 25 ottobre 2007

Becoming a blogger!

photo by a trying youth

Hi,

Two weeks have already gone since when, for the first time in my life, I wrote a post in a blog, and with this ‘rite’ I was inititiated into the blogosphere, completely unaware that, in so little time, I would find myself updating my blog every second I can! Actually, my blog is really becoming ‘my living room’!


Obviously, in these two or three weeks I am attending my last English course at university, I have learnt several things about blogging: what a blog is, how to create my blog, how to send a good post, what the function of tags is, how to insert an image using Flickr, what rules belong to blog etiquette, how to search the blogosphere with Technorati, and so on.
It was, however, precisely e-tivity 2 which, unexpectedly, marked a turning point in my way of thinking about blogging: visiting a significant number of blogs made me abandon my strong belief that blogging was the latest rage among computer addicted people and that a blog was merely ‘a more technological and public version of a diary’, where one talks about his or her individual life. But what a wrong preconception!

I was positively surprised by the greatness and the variety of blogs…I had to reconsider them as creative and enjoyable tools not only to speak about our personal life and interests, or to keep in contact with ‘e-friends’, but also to widen our knowledge of the world through a constructive exchange of ideas. It is precisely this what I mostly appreciate about blogs: through them people can discuss not only frivolous things of everyday life, but also very relevant issues and events of public interest.
At this point a distinction should be made between you as writer of your blog and you as reader of other blogs:

- Writing your own blog means sharing your ideas and opinions on a topic in a virtual space where anyone can read them with the advantage of receiving other people’s comment – also from people that you do not know and that may live in a context/culture very different from yours. Therefore, it is a wonderful vehicle for spreading information, culture, ideas, plans,… and, first of all, for seeing other viewpoints, and thus broadening your horizons.

- As a reader of other people’s blogs, you can get a lot of information and sources on a given fact, theme, or problem; you can look for people who are keen on a particular thing and ask them for advice. I like thinking the blogosphere as ‘a huge, miscellaneous hyperbook’ free and available to anyone who just wants to read, read and read for educational or social purposes, or simply for his/her delight.

The use of blogs in the field of
CALL, as a language learning tool, has been a revelation to me: thanks to the English blogging course I am attending, I can appreciate the usefulness of blogs to enrich my vocabulary and to practice different English registers (from formal to informal) with respect to both reading and writing. Moreover, on the World Wide Web there are a number of blogs dealing with language learning and translation, which are two fields I am particularly interested in; such blogs can be important sources of information and tools to improve our language skills. Of course, like anything you find on the Internet, you should always pay attention on the reliability and authority of the blogs you visit, especially when you do this for learning purposes!

Bye!

Elena

6 commenti:

Martina Urbani ha detto...

Hi Elena!
Compliments for your blog page! I really like the lay-out, the links and the picture you put on it.

As regards your post, I can say that you wrote a very detailed report on what we have learnt so far. I appreciated the fact that you manage to summarize all the main aspects of our learning process and you focused the attention on those elements that you consider more relevant.

I completely agree with you when you say that a distinction should be made between you as writer of your blog and you as reader of other blogs. You briefly pointed out why blogs can be considered as wonderful vehicles for spreading information, culture, ideas, plans and for seeing other viewpoints, broadening our horizons.

To be honest, at the beginning of our experience as bloggers, I was a little bit sceptical about blogs because I have never created a blog before. Anyway I also did reconsidered my opinion and, as you said, now I consider blogs as creative and enjoyable tools not only to speak about our personal life and interests, or to keep in contact with ‘e-friends’, but also to widen our knowledge of the world through a constructive exchange of ideas.

I would like to ask you a question.... what kind of register should we use in our posts? I think it depends on the context.

I mean... if we are writing on our personal page we can use colloquialisms, slangs and so on; but, when we are talking about language, register and style I find it difficult to discuss about it in an informal way...

What do you think about it?
Thank you so much Elena, for your contribution. By reading your post, I became aware of what you think about blogs and I hope to go on sharing our opinions.

See you then,
huge kiss!
Martina

Silvia Lovato ha detto...

Hi Elena!

Happy Birthday. I’ve known you since we were 5 and it is a bit strange now that you’re 23 (I’m always younger than you :-)!!!)Joking apart, I hope you’ll have fun today! Have you already received any presents?

As far as your blog is concerned, I love the color you chose, the pictures and the links! Good job! Reading your post I noticed that you’re a bit long-winded. I have the same problem! I mean, your post is clear and well written and I did not find any language mistakes. However, as Sarah pointed out we should keep our posts short!

I appreciated the distinction you made between you as a blogger and you as a reader. However, I do think that in practice this distinction is not so clear. As a matter of fact, when you are writing in a foreign language you are imitating something you’ve read. This is the rason why we find it difficult to write in an informal register. As a matter of fact, we’ve always read books written in Academic English. I mean, the way we write is inevitabily influenced by what we read. Therefore, we can learn how to improve our informal English only by reading a lot! It takes a long time, I know! However, this is the only way to reach our goal. as you wrote in your post the variety of blogs allows you to practice different registers and enrich your vocabulary!

see you later,
S.

veronica bozzato ha detto...

Hi Elena!

I read your comment on my post and I noticed that we really share the same feelings about blogging! When we start blogging we both felt excited and enthusiast, but also a bit upset! We both consider blogging a good way of expressing our creativity and improving our language learning. Thanks to this activity, we can express our opinions and see what others think about them; we can share files and recommend links; we can enrich our vocabulary and use different registers, as you pointed out. We both think that peer reviewing is very useful both for the person who corrects, and for the person whose work is edited.

I appreciated the fact that Sarah published her feedback on two groups’ work; in this way, we can see what are the most common mistakes and try to avoid them. There’s much to learn from others’ mistakes!

I agree with you when you say that reliability and authority are very important when you visit blogs, especially when you want to find a website or a blog for learning aims!

That’s all for now!

See you soon

Veronica

Camilla ha detto...
Questo commento è stato eliminato dall'autore.
Camilla ha detto...

Hi Elena!

Happy Birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Elena, happy birthday to you!!!

Here I am writing some comments on your blog!
I find it great that you've come so soon in contact with all the tools available in your blog, that means that you're really interested in what we're doing!
I am interested too...but it takes a minute to me to get bored of all the "strange" things one can do with computers...I must improve it and be more curious!
Maybe you could teach me how to use "the right side of the page" in my blog!

As for language and register, I'd like to quote a couple of sentences that Silvia and Veronica wrote:

Silvia said that "the way we write is inevitabily influenced by what we read. Therefore, we can learn how to improve our informal English only by reading a lot!"
That is absolutely true!
And in the blogosphere we've got the chance to read a lot of things written in informal English, so I'm really happy we're having the opportunity to do it, because I think that learning English does not only mean learning the academic register, but also being able to speak in an everyday environment!

Moreover, Veronica said that "We both think that peer reviewing is very useful both for the person who corrects, and for the person whose work is edited".
And I think it is very important too, so...let's try to be a little more critical in order to help each other!
For example, I think that you're a little bit long - winded, but do not worry about that, we're all too long - winded, we're Italian!

However, I also want to tell you that the part of your post that I liked the most is the last paragraph, I find it very interesting, clear and well written!

Enjoy your birthday...and enjoy Halloween too!

Camilla

elenavi ha detto...

Thank you girls for wishing me "Happy Birthday!"...you are so kind!

When is your birthday? I know Silvia's birthday is on November, 24th!!!So in less than a month...

See you!

Elena